Sunday, February 8, 2009

Check-In No. 2

Living Room End Table: WIP


I had some trouble with this one. I started today with this:

Please excuse the blur, I don't know WTF is up with my camera. Wrong pre-set, apparently. Anyway, it's just junk, perhaps it's best you don't see the excruciating detail.

So this week's progress involves more cheating than last. A bunch of those papers, rather than really being dealt with, just joined other papers to be dealt with later. Consolidation is good, right?

The toolbox went to live on the hallway shelving unit. This may not be its final home, but I actually do need it to be handy. Down in a utility room somewhere doesn't work for me.

The bag o' paper was trash that was already sorted. THAT was easy. Same for the broken boombox. I salvaged the power cord though. It's hidden in an even junkier room, but in a basket of other cords where it won't get lonely.

There's a packing box stashed under the table. I'm pretty sure it has books in it, but which books? Ah, yes. Books that I sorted out to be donated. Approximately a year ago. Procrastination is a bitch, seriously. I had intended to send this box to reader to reader.org, a worthy organization which helps get books in the hands of low-income kids, but a closer look at their guidelines suggests that most of these books are not great for their purposes. Guess they're going to the local UBS. This blog however, motivated me to take the box out to the car and put it in the trunk -- hopefully it won't just live there for another year; I do get out to that store pretty frequently.

In the stack of books, magazines, school papers, mail, and junk on top of that table were some books I've been planning to send to a friend; they're now boxed up and waiting for me to finish reading one more book to include with the batch and actually get the box out of the house. I have two other packages that have been pending the defeat of the procrastination monster that lives under my bed (and in my closet, and in piles of paper on my counters, etc. etc. etc.) so while not specifically in scope for this weekend's project, that got done too, or at least prepped for mailing. Sealed and addressed, even. As of right now, I'm left with this lovely tablescape:


The books that you see there are library books. I'm OK with those staying pretty visible. Two packages, ready to be shipped out. Oops, packing tape, hang on.... yeah, that's put away now. Coasters that should live there on the table, and yay, room to put them down with a nice beverage on top.

The magazines...? I have no idea what to do with. I'm not ready to ditch 'em yet. The box is in my car. There are two bags that I haven't dealt with yet -- one is a bunch of Yvette's school papers and such from last year, the other is basically leftover Christmas stocking stuffers. I need to figure out what to do with them such that they're out of my hair for the next ten and half months but I don't forget about them come the Stocking Stuffing 2009 event. Suggestions welcome!

So my commitment next week is to get rid of the stuff that's staged and ready to go out of the house. I think the school papers I can go through with Yvette and weed out all but the best stuff, maybe put them in a ring binder or something and keep it with the photo albums and scrapbooks. I also need to make a start on the paper monster. I'm getting tax documentation in the mail and I don't even want to tell you what happened last year. And the year before. But it needs to NOT happen this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment